Thursday, March 21, 2013

4 Months Since....

....my last treatment.

November 9th was the date of my last internal radiation treatment.  That marked the last treatment I hope I ever have to have.  I'm not super confident that everything is mending like it's supposed to, ie I still can't digest leafy greens and red meat, without quite a bit of burning and discomfort, but I'll take what I have versus what it could have been, right?

I made it through nearly 2 days without saying the 'C' word.  That was kind of nice.



 Although, in this day and age you hear the word ALL. THE. TIME. Even if you're not saying it yourself.  Someone you know is fighting, or it's a friend of a friend.  Someone is always fighting.  It's those people that we need it always keep in our thoughts and prayers.

I recently found out that the father of one of my friend's is battling cancer.  It's a terrible, craptastical kind, which I won't go into detail about.  My initial reaction was numbness, followed by anger, quickly followed by gut wrenching sorrow.  This part of life is not fair.  I'm praying each night for a miracle, because Dads are important and no one should ever be without a Dad.  No one.

In another vein, my family's goal to achieve 2,013 random acts of kindness keeps getting curtailed.  It gets super tricky to think of random acts that don't involve giving away money (mostly because I don't have any to give away, but if I did...I completely would! I wish I had some to give away, ::sheesh::).  Like my 2nd kiddo always says, "Well, anywho...." I've decided that rather than count each one off, I will pray for opportunities to help someone.  One day, it was talking to a baby in a shopping cart, while her mother attempted to find the right juice for the kiddos.  Said baby was screamin' up a storm when I strolled by with my cart, and G. I stopped, poked her in the tummy and made a toot noise.  That caught her by surprise and she hiccuped for a bit, until her Mom came over to see what had calmed the kiddo.  She thanked me, and said that she was nearly at the end of her rope.  I quipped, "Well tie a knot and hang on sister.  They get more fun down the line, but you sure miss the little toothless grins and the chubby hands that only want you!" She agreed and down the aisle I went.

That's when it hit me.  Random acts are that simple.  Letting someone pull in front of you that seems in a big hurry, picking up a dropped item and returning it to the owner, smiling at the busy checkout clerk and asking how their day is going.....all random, all kind.  You get the idea.

So my little family and me, we're plugging along.  So far we're on schedule to meet our goal.  This requires that each member find one act per day, and one of us gets to do two.  Since setting this challenge, we've decided that these acts CAN'T include money, because that's super easy- although I've already broken it a few times to help out cute kiddos buying their first something with their own money, and pitching in a few dollars to someone who needed it.  I can't help it.

Here's to a world without Cancer, and a lifetime of Random Acts of Kindness.

I'm off to go and get G and take him to the potty before tucking him in.  I think that should count as a random act, because he's currently sleeping atop Coach....and I know he drank a large glass of water before slipping into slumber act.  I could leave him, but they'd both wake up swimming.

Much love~ Kami


4 comments:

Heidi said...

Ha! I like that last act of random kindness. I hope they both appreciated it :-)

Wendy said...

Basically, you're amazing. I love you and I love your heart. I try to do acts of kindness all the time lately--not just random--which sounds like exactly what you're doing. xoxo

Anonymous said...

Kami, take a look at your own piccy at the top RHS, and you`ll see what someone like myself has been drawn to....all you need are those kind eyes whilst you look at your surroundings and realise that even a brief tiny smile at a stranger often gives the most precious payback in anothers heart when you have kind eyes. You`re already giving back effortlessly.

kjcreager said...

Hi Kami - Just a tip on food that I was taught while one of many hospital visits - you have had radiation to the pelvic region and it is very difficult to digest fresh fruits and vegetables. They put me on what is called a low residue diet. Basically the opposite of healthy food. I hope and pray that your intestines heal and that one day you can eat whatever you want! I am almost three years out and my intestines fight almost everything. I so hope that doesn't happen to you. I love your positive posts and hope you continued healing and good health!