Monday, March 4, 2013

The New Normal

Today I woke up, and did laundry.

Wow! Right? Yep, it really did.  I did laundry and made cookies with G.  We worked on the letters in his name, and mosied on down the road to literacy.  It's been a good day.

I only spent a few hours on the phone tracking down claims and asking medical personnel to resubmit their claims that were processed wrong.  I got a wonderful FB message from a dear friend that made me jump for joy some more.

It's been an outstanding day.

I've also felt the loss of a family that I don't even know.  Their story is documented on Facebook and is called Mitchell's Journey.  I was keyed into this family through a friend of mine, who's son has recently beaten Ewings Sarcoma.  It took a bit of his leg,  but he triumphed with more heart than I've ever seen before.  He leaves me feeling uplifted and strengthened.  Mitchell's story has also done this for me.  Mitchell fought hard, and then left this world a better place.  I've sobbed all weekend for this boy and his sweet family.  I've never met them.  In all reality, I've never met Tristan either, but I love them each as though they are mine.....because they have hearts of warriors and allowed us all to peek into their fight.  They are such a true definition of fighter and living every breath of every moment. They are what life is about.

Life is give and take.  We are constantly reminded of this.

I'm grateful that I've been given more years with my kids.  That they are healthy, and that we can all rejoice in the destruction of the dark cloud that loomed for so long.

It's funny though......

I find myself wondering if there will ever be a day when I don't have to talk about cancer anymore.  Probably not.  How can we live in this world where every moment, someone else is learning a new hard truth, and someone else's family is starting their journey on this terrible path?

The new normal is clearer and more distinct.  Reality hit us hard, and I am grateful for the reminder of how fragile this existence really is.  Today is a good day to hug those that you love just a bit tighter, to call those that you've lost contact with, just to remind them of the difference they've made in your life; to forgive someone whom you thought you never could.

My new normal is exciting, and scary and breathtaking.  It's a better perspective than I would have had otherwise.  So for now, I'm off to fold some underwear and attempt to sneak up on my 4 year old- just to hear him scream and giggle like mad.  It's a new normal, and it's a good one. ~Kami

6 comments:

Heidi said...

I need this perspective too!! I tend to get too annoyed with transitory non-important things that just don't matter in the long run.

Anonymous said...

I`m finding this hard to explain,but here it goes. A new normal results in far fewer regrets and disappointments as the years accumulate and a lovely sense of contentment. Prepare to enjoy !

Unknown said...

I just love love love you, that is all, I just love you!

kjcreager said...

Hi Kami- I was scrolling through my favs and your site was there. So I clicked on it. I have been fighting the after effects of the cervical cancer treatments - some permanent. Not sure where in the process you are in - but if you want to take a look - you can find my blog at www.mycervicalcancerjourney.blogspot.com. Some may be applicable to you - some not. But if you have any questions, feel free to contact me at kellycreager@gmail.com. Best of luck in your journey. It is a road. I wish you all the best.

Anonymous said...

Kelly`s blog is very helpful for information on how the effects of radiation treatment are influenced by autoimmune disease eg rheumatoid arthritis, MS, lupus.As if we girls need any further frills!

Anonymous said...

Oh bless you Kami, it`s not really my place to give a little `review` on another blog,but I`m so glad you published it for those girls out there who might need it.
I used to check in to your blog every night (11.30pm London)) hoping for a new post because you write so well, but recently it`s to check there is NO new post as it means you are too busy living to bother with health updates! Keep that lovely smile going Kami and RELAX.All the best.