Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Change in Plans

Due to my low tolerance for Cisplatin, my medicine oncologist made a change up last week.  He decided that because I nearly had a heart attack with the 100 mg dose of the chemo drug, that rather than do the high dose every 21 days.  We would change things up a bit and give me a 40 mg once a week.

Come again?

Initially when he said this I thought to myself, "Please just kill me now.  There's no way that I can do chemo every week.  I am a weak lady.  I admit I am not as strong as I thought I was.  I can't do it.  Please don't make me do it."

What I said was, "Why?"

Dr. S replied that because my body does tolerate the drug very well, hopefully the lower dose- to be monitored more closely, would keep things from getting as bad as they did.  Basically my white counts shot to the basement and my potassium was nowhere to be found.

So, last Tuesday I started the first of three lower doses.  I'm not going to lie.  It was terrible.  Reason being is that my stomach does not tolerate liquid toxin at all.  I'm pretty sure that no one's does.  Please keep in mind that I know I am blessed.  My worst side effects have been: nausea and epic diarrhea.  When I say EPIC.....there's no joke.  I'm very blessed in terms of side effects.  While my hair has continued to thin, and come out in bits here and there, I am not bald.  I don't have mouth sores.  I can eat, given the right meds, and I have so much support that I should never complain.

And I won't complain.  I'll just let you know that when I say my tub and my bed have been my friend...they really have.  I've also gotten to know the bathrooms in the Coolidge Walmart, and Sonic really well, and I'm not ashamed.

Today was my second round of weekly chemo.  That means I just have one more round to survive and attempt to not have my rectum blown out by brachy-therapy.  Also to date, I only have 6 more external radiation treatments to go.  While I won't be 100% for Halloween, I should be doing much better come Thanksgiving and for that I am eternally grateful.

Also on another happy side note: the tumor is shrinking ahead of schedule.

Truly, what is there to complain about? Absolutely nothing.  While it is not all sunshine and lollipops, it's definitely not gloom and doom.  Two weeks from now I am hoping to have all my treatments wrapped up and this part of fighting cancer just a memory with many bright spots.

But for now, I'm going to enjoy the fact that my parents are here.  My Dad is making the best dinners & breakfasts.  Seriously, they are THAT GOOD! My Mom and I laughed so hard today at chemo that the nurses had to come and ask what was so funny (we were playing this card game where I got to steal her twin boys...ha ha!) and Coach's team had a super sweet Homecoming victory.  My life is good, my kids are happy, and I will continue to take one day at a time.  Happy memories & future plans! ~Kami

3 comments:

Heidi said...

Glad you are hanging in there, and glad the tumor is checking out ahead of schedule!!

Wendy said...

I love you. Remember that it is okay to have a bad day and complain a little--no one will fault you for it! But, I do love that you are staying positive and trying to see the blessings in it all. Miracles and blessings are amazing. You are a warrior! xoxo

Mark & Susanne Kelley said...

Kami, I just wanted to let you know that Susanne and I have been including you in all of our prayers since we first learned about your illness (maybe three weeks ago). Your courage and attitude are wonderful!

Mark Kelley