Saturday, September 29, 2012

Chemo & Rad Week #1

There's a distinct ringing in my ears as I sit down to type this out.  If none of this makes sense, that would be why.  No matter what medication I take, I can't make the ringing stop.  I'm not mad....at least...not yet.

Monday was a day that I got to go shopping and not worry for one more day that I had cancer.  I should have lived it up a little more.

Tuesday was a day that will live in infamy for me.  I rolled into Casa Grande with my peep 'T' right on time.  Within a matter of minutes I was hooked to an IV and fluids were flowing.  I got a bag of the glucose, followed by a bag of anti-nausea.  Then I was interrupted for the radiation moment.  Being placed on the radiation table and having the pics taken followed by the treatment took maybe 20 minutes.

After radiation I was back on the chemo side and the chemo meds were introduced into my system.  Let me just say that watching toxins drip into your body is not a fun thing.  Obviously.  I didn't feel any different, but I did feel tired.  I cannot imagine the strength and fortitude it takes to watch this happen to your child, or loved one and know that you can't stop it, because the alternative is most certainly death.

When the chemo was done, I got two more bags of fluids and 5 hours later T and I got to walk out of the clinic.  I felt super tired, and bit ground down but was able to attend a church board meeting that night.  The rest of the night passed in a sleepy stupor, and I didn't take any meds......which turned out to be a BIG mistake.

Wednesday morning dawned early with a splitting headache and a super unhappy stomach.  My back ached, my soul hurt, my spirits were not up to par.  I wanted to climb into bed and stay there.  I was not very fun.  I did not want to go back to Casa Grande for more radiation.  But I did.

I received a shot at the clinic which helped to downgrade some of the unhappy stomach issues I was having, but my veins were not looking so hot.  I did my treatment and then came home and crashed.

Thursday blended into Wednesday, although I was able to eat a little bit that day.

Friday all of my veins were in terrible shape.  I had one plump one left, which P was able to hook the IV back into to try and hydrate my sad sorry state.  It worked great until she had the machine pumping full blast and my stomach was not a happy camper.  Radiation took place as normal, and I was free to go.

Friday night I attempted a comeback.  I've been religious about my meds the rest of this week.  That's advice I would give.....keep track of what you're taking and when.  I accidentally double dosed on an anti-nausea med which left my head feeling like a truck hit it.

I'm grateful to all the wonderful women to have played with my children, let me ride in their cars, and allowed me to be less than I am right now.  Death seems like a better option than what the good doctors want me to go through, but because I have 4 very wonderful reasons to fight.....I'll continue to do so.

I get today and Sunday off and am hoping to resume my fighter stance soon. Happy days, and warm hearts ahead. ~Kami

2 comments:

Heidi said...

Ugh, ugh, ugh!! Hang in there, Kami!! Rest up as much as you can today and tomorrow!

Shannon @ Lifelong Impressions said...

You can do it!!!