Saturday, August 11, 2012

Big Surf & Big News

Photo courtesy of www.bigsurffun.com


Friday we were all able to attend Coach's first Black and Red Scrimmage, which went really well.  There was a decent crowd and the guys all looked great!  I can't tell you enough how much I love football and everything about it!! I'm so ready for Fall.  Friday night we drove into Mesa to stay with Coach's parents for the night.

Saturday we awoke to bright, sunny skies and warm....very warm temperatures.  The forecast was for 116 degrees.  That's how you know you live in Arizona.  When the temps hit that high, no one even blinks an eye.  Luckily Coach's parents had organized a family trip to the local water park, which happens to have the first ever wave pool in the nation.  Big Surf is a fabulous place to stay wet, and have fun!!

The day couldn't have been more perfect.  The boys all ran around together.  We met under shady spots for lunch, then it was off again to the gigantic wave pool, water slides, a wonderful kids area, boogie boarding and wave catching on rafts.  I was terrible at pretty much all of it, but enjoyed myself immensely.  My brother-in-law was so gracious with his boogie boards, and goading me into being brave.  I went on slides I wouldn't have gone on if he hadn't teased me so much.  I even told him, on a slide that goes straight down, that he would have to go ahead of me or he might be sliding down in my pee remnants.  It was seriously scary and wedgie inducing, but I loved it!! I enjoyed spending the day running around with my nieces too.  It took the gloom off for awhile.

Afterwards, we all went back to Coach's parent's house and had a BBQ.  The kids were all wiped out, but still happy to be together.  After everyone had eaten and the kids had wound down, Coach let everyone know what was going on in our world.

Up until this point only the Fab 5, our Bishop and my visiting teacher knew.  This was hard.  It becomes more exhausting the more you have to pretend to feel great.  Besides Coach and I both know that we're going to have to rally the troops in the days to come to make it through this.  Everyone handled it as well as can be expected.  I have a sister-in-law who is very tenderhearted and my heart broke for her as she struggled to process all that this meant.  

I've found in this whole journey that my job, alot of the time, is to console.  To try and help people through the numbness that I try not to succumb to.  It's hard.  I don't focus on what might happen anymore.  I'm focused on what I want the outcome to be so that I can function, be there for my family and not end up in bed all day with the covers over my head.

Saturday was exhilarating and exhausting.  I'm happy for the day that family had together.  It was normal and fun, and I'm glad I got to be a part of it. ~Kami

5 comments:

Heidi said...

Oh, man, Kami I had no idea!! And here you've been offering to help with my kiddos and such! I'm so glad you are sharing all of this with us so we can all be one big support group for you...I'm all up for the next yogurt trip, sounds yummy and stress relieving!!

Unknown said...

I love you warrior princesses!

Watson Family said...

I was just sent this blog link, I'm not on Facebook and didn't know, oh Kami, I'm so sorry! I love you, and seriously, miss you, and will put your name on the temple rolls asap, and will keep you, and your health, and your family in my daily prayers... and want to do anything and everything I can if you'll let me. Sending you all my love and faith, dearest sister-friend!!!

Doney Days said...

You're amazing! Love, LOve, LOVE YOU!

Unknown said...

Kami, I just heard about you today from Amber. I know you are a strong, upbeat and positive woman and you have what it takes to stay strong through this process. I am so glad you have a wonderful support group to help you with the kiddos and just to be there to talk about something other than cancer. I know how important it is to remember the good things in life even when things look their worst. Thinking about you back here in good old Macomb.