Thursday, August 9, 2012

The First Week Nearly Complete

Waiting....

Sometimes life is moving so fast that it seems to suddenly shift into 'SLOW MOTION' when no one is calling and telling you to be in a specific place quickly.

Photo courtesy of www.old-photo.com

This pretty much sums it up.  All dressed up and no place to go. I was called back on Thursday by Dr. G's office to reconfirm that yep, I have cancer.  The larger biopsy sample proved it.  The tentative staging of III meant that it was advanced, but not in the "Holy crap! You're dying today!!" stage.  (I'm still secretly hoping that the staging is wrong, because until I hear the oncologist tell me...I'm going to continue to hope for the absolute best!). Wouldn't have mattered anyway.  I refuse to die.  I'm like the milkweed that you never can get rid of.  I'll just keep fighting back and popping up in random places.  But for now....I get to wait.

My information was faxed to an oncologist's office, with STAT orders again on it.  So what's a girl to do when she doesn't need to be poked and prodded? Sit around and wait.  Ha ha! Right! I have three boys at home and a football coaching husband.  So, I did what any normal lady in my position does: I cleaned.

Yes, I washed and folded laundry, I hung out with members of the Fab Five again, I video-conferenced with my family because up until this point they didn't know about my current predicament.  That was a little rough.  My parents are tough cookies, but when it comes to their children; they want health and well being STAT!!

I talked with my sisters and they made me laugh.  I phoned my sweetheart and he gave me words of encouragement.  My brothers were all champs with the news and soon had me laughing.  My youngest brother responded to my statement of hysterectomy with the solemn phrase, "Well now you'll be closer to being another big brother, right?" Yeah, you can't keep us down for long.

I called the oncologist's office to make sure they got my information.  They were glad that I called, and took down my insurance info, and basic stats.  Then in formed me that once the doctor had reviewed my case, they would be calling to schedule an appointment.  The call might be today, might be next week.  Sweet! More waiting.  Oh well.  I have things to do anyway, like go and eat yogurt with wonderful ladies.

Speaking of which, my lovely husband showed up this evening to kidnap the children so that I could go to yogurt by myself.  He really is amazing!  The kids were out the door with dear Dad and hour before I had to be anywhere and so I prayed for a bit.  Then a lovely neighbor came over bearing gifts of a happy plant and super yummy coconut pecan cake.  I'm not kidding, I about died and went to heaven right then.  She was also a coach's wife and so understood the demands of the life, and not feeling well.  We chatted, and she called me "baby girl" and I felt loved and safe.

Soon it was time for yogurt and I was off to pick up friends and laugh the night away at Froyona (super good stuff).  So now you see that I had plenty to keep me busy, most important a small carton of cookies & cream yogurt covered in oreos, with half a helping of chocolate yogurt sprinkled in ande's mint chunks.  Life doesn't get much better, does it? ~ Kami

No comments: